Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Introducing Maybell, who may or may not be a transvestite cow.

My family's cow finally gave birth! The calf is so wee and fuzzy. I decided to name her Maybell. I also decided she's a she. So perhaps Maybell is a boy who is pretending to be a girl. I don't judge cow orientations. Especially when she wags her tail while milking. Adorable.






To the left is Sanyi, one of our puppies. He's a bit smaller than his sister, Julie, who tends to assert her dominance by sitting on top of him until he whines for mercy. Kinda reminds me of my brother and me.







This is the food I prepared for my family the other day. The brown stuff that is completely unappetizing would be a batch of unsolidified no bake cookies. Pretty good with bananas, especially since Hersey bars are $3 here.





This is my big sister Vibol enjoying my American culinary ingenuity. As always, everyone's favorite Cambodian. She did lose points the other day by informing me that if I was thinner like another volunteer she had recently met in my province I would be so much better looking. Good looking out, Vibol, thanks for not letting that one pass you by.






And last but not least, some food for thought for all you in the first world:
I may not get to enjoy plumbing, electricity, the application of everyday logic, chocolate, or privacy but I do get to live with this right outside my window:


Enjoy your traffic and toilet bowls, suckers.

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne! It is I, Lindsey Rodgers, here from the internet wastes to view your adventures.

    First of all, I must say, your bravery astounds me. I'm unhealthily attracted to my toilet bowl and traffic lulls me into a catatonic state of comfort with it's toxic familiarity...or maybe just plain toxicity... so what you're doing, the places you're going...the idea of doing it myself (which of course this made me think about) is so terrifying to my little homebody heart and mild case of agoraphobia, I might have peed a little bit just now.

    Secondly, Vibol can suck a three dollar hershey bar, you're gorgeous and always have been. It's kind of amazing the things it's ok to say to someone in one culture and taboo in another, yeah? It's both disconcerting and incredibly fascinating hahaha

    ReplyDelete